I got a call from Summer tonight on my way home warning me the Sandy Animal Control might be at our house when I drove up. Corey got bit by a dog!
I guess he and several neighborhood kids were playing outside, about one driveway east of our house, when a neighbor dog (Max) came at them, agressive and growling. Corey got nervous and started to ride away on his scooter and the dog caught him and bit him on the back of his thigh. Summer didn't see the bite occur, so at first didn't believe him. But he kept saying it hurt so she checked and sure enough a red mark where the teeth had gotten him - even through his jeans.
The neighbor who lives where Corey was playing came out and called Animal Control. She has had all kinds of problems with that same little dog. Apparently it has cornered her 4 yr old against his own fence, and harrassed some of the other neighbors. I guess animal control has been to their house 2 or 3 times.
The officer was very calm and professional, and after inspecting Corey and hearing the stories said that the city has to take the dog for quarantine for 10 days to see if it has rabies. He also suggested we press charges (2 charges - being loose and attacking). While we were talking the mom and her father came across the street to see what was happening. I feel bad because I think it was the first time we had met, even though the family has lived there for probably a year.
The officer went to their house and took the dog. Later that night the mom and her mother and daughters came over to apologize and see how Corey was doing. She said they have decided to give up the dog (find it a new home to go to after the 10 days are up). The mother cried saying that none of the neighbors have been nice to her daughter and we haven't given them a chance.
Corey is fine, the dog is gone, so I'm hoping things will work out for the best for us, them and the neighborhood. The doctor's office suggested we circle the bite mark with sharpie and monitor it for a few days to see if it changes or gets worse. Can't we all just get along?
I guess he and several neighborhood kids were playing outside, about one driveway east of our house, when a neighbor dog (Max) came at them, agressive and growling. Corey got nervous and started to ride away on his scooter and the dog caught him and bit him on the back of his thigh. Summer didn't see the bite occur, so at first didn't believe him. But he kept saying it hurt so she checked and sure enough a red mark where the teeth had gotten him - even through his jeans.
The neighbor who lives where Corey was playing came out and called Animal Control. She has had all kinds of problems with that same little dog. Apparently it has cornered her 4 yr old against his own fence, and harrassed some of the other neighbors. I guess animal control has been to their house 2 or 3 times.
The officer was very calm and professional, and after inspecting Corey and hearing the stories said that the city has to take the dog for quarantine for 10 days to see if it has rabies. He also suggested we press charges (2 charges - being loose and attacking). While we were talking the mom and her father came across the street to see what was happening. I feel bad because I think it was the first time we had met, even though the family has lived there for probably a year.
The officer went to their house and took the dog. Later that night the mom and her mother and daughters came over to apologize and see how Corey was doing. She said they have decided to give up the dog (find it a new home to go to after the 10 days are up). The mother cried saying that none of the neighbors have been nice to her daughter and we haven't given them a chance.
Corey is fine, the dog is gone, so I'm hoping things will work out for the best for us, them and the neighborhood. The doctor's office suggested we circle the bite mark with sharpie and monitor it for a few days to see if it changes or gets worse. Can't we all just get along?
Comments